The church was founded by Thomas Gillespie around 1752 after he had been deposed by the Church of Scotland for refusing to take part in the forced settlement of a minister in Inverkeithing.
Gillespie preached independently for 9 years until he joined with 2 other ministers, Thomas Boston of Jedburgh and Thomas Collier of Colinsburgh. Along with the elders of the 3 churches they formed the "Presbytery of Relief" which, over time, became the Relief denomination.
Eventually the Relief Church joined with the Secession Church and they became the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland. This body had a notable history being the first in Scotland to open its pulpits to all true ministers of Christ and its Communion Table to all believers; the first to introduce the hymn book into public worship; the first to sponsor the cause of foreign missions, and the first to take a definite stand against the evils of the slave trade.
When Thomas Gillespie died in 1774 the trustees wanted the building to be given to the Church of Scotland and had arranged to do so. However the majority of the congregation elected to remain with the Relief Church and so the property still remains under the ownership of the congregation.
The current building is the third built since Gillespie's day and is now over 150 years old. Recently it underwent an extensive external refurbishment supported by funding from the CARS Scheme, as well as finance from other independent grant-making bodies and our own congregation donations. The church hall too has recently benefited from significant investment and been modernised for the benefit of the community that uses it.